Thursday, May 11, 2017

Binge-watching Battlestar Galactica: Season 3 finale

I am continuing my binge-watching of SyFy’s reimagined Battlestar Galactica. I have just begun season four.

What can I say about the season three finale? Starbuck comes back from the dead, four of the regular cast members (including two major characters, Tigh and Tyrol) are Cylons. 

Meanwhile, all of this quasi-religious stuff is continuing with Gaius Baltar (who now bears what must be a deliberate resemblance to the classical depiction of Jesus Christ.)



It’s weird, to say the least. And as I peruse the Internet, I see that many people have noted the same oddities since 2008.

I still think BSG is an entertaining show, with well-drawn, complex characters. The pacing is mostly tight. It holds your attention.

That all said, I would have preferred a remake more faithful to the original series—a straightforward space opera of humans vs. aliens.  

I will, however, keep watching. BSG may not be what I would have preferred. That doesn't mean it isn't worthwhile.