Thursday, February 23, 2017

The First Story that Really Scared Me

A reader recently asked me, "Dear Ed, do you remember the first story that ever really scared you?”

That was an easy one to answer.

In the summer of 1977, when your friendly and humble correspondent was only nine years old, I happened to come across a book full of "scary stories" written for young people.

The book (pictured below), was published by Scholastic and was edited by a woman name Freya Littledale.




I have long since forgotten the stories included in this book. I was nine then, after all, and I’m now 48.

Except for one story. One story I still remember.

The short story, "The Demon of Detroit" scared the bejesus out of me.

I talk a little bit about this short story in the video that follows. 

The collection in which I originally read the story in 1977 is long out-of-print. (The book was published in 1971, when Richard Nixon was president.) But the short story itself is still out there, and is still scaring the heck out of readers, and even listeners on YouTube.