Saturday, November 5, 2016

Before ‘The Walking Dead’, there was ‘Hay Moon’

Between roughly 2005 and 2008 I worked on a zombie tale called Hay Moon. The completed story eventually became the lead/anchor story in my first short story collection: Hay Moon and Other Stories: Sixteen Modern Tales of Horror and Suspense.

Hay Moon is a tad longer than 10,000 words. This technically classifies it as a “novelette”—or a very long short story. 





I wrote Hay Moon before AMC launched The Walking Dead in 2010. I don’t mean to imply by this observation that I’m a genius, or that AMC in any way copied my work or stole my idea. The idea of the reanimated dead is an old one. This is a horror archetype, like ghosts, vampires, witches, or serial killers. It doesn't “belong” to any single author or filmmaker. 

I mention the fact that Hay Moon predatedThe Walking Dead because the two are very dissimilar. Hay Moon isn't a tale about the end of civilization. 

In other words, if you’re looking for another story about a plague-sized, global zombocalypse brought about by a virus, you won’t find it in Hay Moon. The zombie phenomenon in Hay Moon is supernatural, and confined to a particular place and time, as indicated by the Amazon description:

Paul Hammers was eleven years old in the summer of 1932, when the Hay Moon turned bad and for a brief while, the dead walked the earth in an isolated corner of rural Ohio.

Decades later, Paul Hammers, now a great-grandfather, looks back on that summer of fear. But is the nightmare truly over?

I’m making the novelette free on Amazon Kindle from November 6th through November 8th. This will give you a chance to sample the eponymous first story of the longer story collection—as well as my fiction in general. 

If you like this story, you might consider the longer collection of sixteen stories. If you’re in the mood for a horror novel instead, let me suggest Eleven Miles of Night or 12 Hours of Halloween

Or maybe even all three: They’re all dirt-cheap on Amazon Kindle.