Wednesday, June 8, 2016

New Mac purchases (personal update)

Although I am in many ways the antithesis of the stereotypical Apple user, I made the switch to Apple products 6 years ago. This was after Windows automated updates had killed two of my PCs in as many months. For a brief while, I suspected that Bill Gates harbored a personal vendetta toward me.

I bought my first iMac in October of 2010. I was still using that machine as of yesterday.

Recently, however, that 2010-model year, 27-inch iMac has been overheating. I decided that 6 years constituted a fair life span for a heavily used computer. It was high time to put that machine out to pasture.

So yesterday I went to my local Apple store in Cincinnati. I purchased a new 21.5-inch iMac with an upgraded processor, and an 11-inch MacBook Air, pictured below. So far at least, I'm in love with both of them.



And those are not the only changes. Although I've been using Apple hardware for more than half a decade, I had stuck with Microsoft Office out of---I don't know--a sense of attachment, perhaps? (Microsoft has long made a version of Office for Mac users.)

But Microsoft now charges subscription fees for Office, and the very comparable iWork applications come free with every new Apple. I therefore decided to ditch Office in favor of iWork.

Pages is obviously the most relevant iWork application for a writer. Over the past 24 hours I've been using Pages for all my writing needs. 

Once again, I'm glad I made the switch to Apple products.

I found that all of my in-process MS Word documents converted seamlessly to Pages files, with no discernible changes in content and/or format. The Pages interface, once you get used to it, is every bit as user-friendly as the MS Word interface. Also, since Pages was designed specifically for the Mac, it should be less buggy. (MS Word occasionally crashes on the Mac.)

If you're a Mac user anyway, I would say that the switch to iWork is a no-brainer. Microsoft made the decision even easier with its decision to move to a subscription model for Office.