Sunday, May 3, 2015

Hormones and reading



All of the points in the above Washington Post blog post are accurate, more or less.

But I might add one more: Adolescence brings a whole new set of priorities, few of which lend themselves to reading.

I was an avid reader in my very early years (up to age 11). Then I went through puberty and discovered girls. 

For a number of years, I had little interest in reading (though certain magazines with pictorial content certainly captured my adolescent attention). 

Luckily, I immersed myself in reading again during the second half of my high school years. By age 18, I was a more avid reader than I had been at age 11.

But enough about me: Here is the takeaway, for parents and young people alike: Teenagers are primarily and disproportionately interested in other teenagers--especially teenagers of the opposite sex. 

This in itself is perfectly normal; but if taken to excess, it can result in lost intellectual opportunities and much wasted time. This was certainly the result in my case.

And I went through puberty thirty years before the profusion of cell phones and texting....