Monday, February 2, 2015

Termination Man: the idea behind the novel

As I explain in the video that follows, few aspiring writers have day jobs so exciting that they can be immediately mined for action-packed plots for novels. 

This was true enough of me before I sat down to write Termination Man.

Nevertheless, I really wanted to write a novel about my corporate experience. 

But I didn't want it to be boring. (I'm easily bored myself, so I hold my own work to a high standard in this regard.) 

And I didn't want to write yet another novel about how corporate America is a cold, profit-driven wasteland of crushed souls. (Blah, blah, blah.) The market didn't need another novel like that.

Then I read a nonfiction book that detailed the management practice of "managing out" unwanted employees. 

And I thought: "Hey, what if companies started taking the practice of 'managing out' to marginally legal levels--maybe even to outright illegal levels?"