Thursday, August 14, 2014

Blog and comment policy announcement: August and September

Well folks, I've got several "hot" writing projects that I need to finish in the next couple of months: I have to complete the edits and revisions for Our House, as well as the initial draft of another novel. 

That will mean some changes in the time and attention I can devote to the blog and comment moderation, and a temporary policy change. 

Throughout most of this year, this has been a news-driven blog, with lots of blog posts about current events. 

For the next several months, it will become more of a typical "author blog" with updates about book releases, etc. (plus the occasional Kindle giveaway). 

Blogging about news events and politics is fun, not to mention cathartic; but there are only so many hours in the day, and you know--the priorities thing. 

As a result, I'm going to be shutting off comments for a few months as well.

I generally take the position that when I'm blogging about current events, it's bad form to suppress comments. But for the next few months, political/cultural posts will be few and far between, anyway. Comments moderation, moreover (including spam management) is time-consuming. (Each day I have to delete about a dozen spam comments from recent posts.) 

I will still be posting essays here--but they'll generally be longer and more infrequent, and probably won't involve current political topics. 

I'll turn comments on again when I have more time to devote to moderating and responding to them. That will probably be sometime in the fall.

In the meantime, a special thanks to those of you have been regular commenters and emailers (especially Brian L, Boxty, and Mary L.). I've enjoyed your feedback and suggestions immensely, and look forward to engaging with you again in the future. 

Now--I have to get back to the books.