Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Stephen King on the sequel to The Shining

I don't care for Stephen King's politics. But unlike those leftwing fascists who want to boycott Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game, I can separate the art from the artist. 

I also believe in something that the Left doesn't appreciate: intellectual freedom, and the most important "diversity" of all: the diversity of opinion.

That aside, I'm looking forward to reading The Shining sequel, Doctor Sleep.

Stephen King usually doesn't write sequels, he explains, but he made an exception in this case:


"When I get to the end of a story, I'm done with these people, not because I don't like them any more, but because I don't know what happens next." But in Danny's case, King said that the character "never really left my mind", adding : "I got curious and that doesn't happen to me very often." Little by little, King explained, what happened next to Danny "started to form in my head".
The Shining was one of the first Stephen King novels I ever read--back in the summer of 1984. The book was nearly a decade old even then, so as sequels go, Doctor Sleep has been a long time coming.


No comments: