Wednesday, October 9, 2013

On being 40something, and my inner curmudgeon


One of my Facebook friends shared this link from the Huffington Post , "40 effed up things about being 40". 

Or 45, in my case.

Everybody dreads turning forty, and laments how devastating it is.

But for me, at least--not so much.

To begin with, most age-related life changes are incremental, and most can be delayed or averted to some degree through a mixture of positive and preventative action.

For example, I gain weight more easily than I used to, so I diet more stringently nowadays; and I exercise harder.

To avoid falling behind the times, I spend more time engaged in reading and other forms of autodidactism.

Now, I know what you're going to say: These are but stopgap measures that only delay the inevitable. 

And you'd be right.

None of my actions alter the fact that death is inevitable--and yes, for me, as well. 

But in the meantime, I intend to enjoy the ride. And that means savoring middle age. 

Somewhere deep inside me, there has always been a middle-aged curmudgeon who was longing to burst out and strut his stuff. Thirty years ago, I was a middle-aged curmudgeon trapped in a teenager's body. But now I can be myself.

No, being fortysomething isn't so bad....not if you know how to play it.

No comments:

Post a Comment