Wednesday, January 30, 2013

My very simple and egalitarian comments policy

In light of recent controversies, it might be helpful to clarify my comments policy:

My comments policy is simple, and very egalitarian. 

Some bloggers are restrictive and partisan about what comments they allow. Here you can write anything you want...absolutely anything!

With one wee, tiny condition:

If you descend to the level of extreme snark, profanity, or name-calling, you must provide your real name and your real face on your Blogger profile (or another Internet presence that is clearly traceable to you. For example: Your Facebook profile is fine--so long as it includes your real name and picture.) 

Here is the idea: The bolder you are, the more accountable you should be. This is only makes sense; and it's only fair.

This doesn't mean that I automatically delete comments from anonymous readers and sock puppets. I don't. But I reserve the right to edit and/or delete comments from non-identified posters if the content is inappropriate, profane, or consists of nothing more than an ad hominem attack.  

In any case, I don't care for the Internet's fetish for anonymity. I value feedback from real people much more than I do from IP addresses, screen names, and avatars.

No comments:

Post a Comment